Sales and Special Orders!
History of Redding, Connecticut: From Its First Settlement to the Present Time.
Quantity in Basket: None
Charles Burr Todd. Paperback, originally published in 1880 and reprinted here 1999, as new, fullname Index, 277 pp. The publisher writes: The author has compiled a variety of documentation on the town of Redding gleaned from town records, church records, miscellaneous logs, periodicals and letters. Numerous excerpts have been included from these documents. Unlike neighboring settlements that formed individually, Redding was originally part of the town of Fairfield. Redding's early years were interrelated with the local Indians and their chief, Chickens Warrop. The first land grant documented was to Mr. Cyprian Nichols in 1687. The War of Independence first touched Redding on April 26, 1777. The author has provided two slightly different accounts of this conflict. Redding's involvement in the Civil War is documented in excerpts from town meetings. One-third of Redding's able-bodied male inhabitants volunteered and are listed by regiment. Individual chapters are devoted to prominent area churches, schools and manufacturers. A section on miscellaneous events touches on Small-pox outbreaks, a merchant's ledger and the anti-slavery society established in 1838. These sections are filled with names, events, and excerpts from related documents. The early families of Redding are given brief, detailed coverage and short biographical sketches of noteworthy descendants included. With Notes On the Adams, Banks, Barlow, Bartlett, Bartram, Bates, Beach, Benedict, Betts, Burr, Burritt, Burton, Chatfield, Couch, Darling, Fairchild, Foster, Gold, Gorham, Gray, Griffin, Hall, Hawley, Hill, Heron, Hull, Jackson, Lee, Lyon, Lord, Mallory, Meade, Meeker, Merchant, Morehouse, Perry, Platt, Read, Rogers, Rumsey, Sanford, Smith and Stow Families. [T512-H]