Sales and Special Orders!
Old Stafford County, Virginia: Overwharton Parish Register, 1720 to 1760
Quantity in Basket: None
Old Stafford County, Virginia: Overwharton Parish Register, 1720-1760. William F. Boogher. Softcover, (1899), repr. 2011, New, xix + 195 pp.
Stafford County was formed in 1664 from the upper portion of Westmoreland County, and is located on the Northern Neck of Virginia. There are but few records of old Stafford County to be found in the vault of the ancient court house until 1699. Many of Stafford's county court records from 1699 to 1862 were vandalized by Federal occupation troops during the Civil War. According to the author, Overwharton Parish was co-extensive with Stafford County, covering a part of what was once Washington Parish, and embracing within its territory what is now Prince William, Loudoun, Fairfax, and Alexandria Counties, and a part of Fauquier until 1730, when Prince William County was taken from Stafford, and Hamilton Parish was erected, succeeding Overwharton as the frontier parish. There are approximately 6,000 individuals listed in the register. Information, in addition to names and relationships, include births, marriages, and deaths, as well as a brief history of the county.